WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: My Fair Lover by Nicole Jordan

My Fair Lover: A Legendary Lovers Novel - Nicole Jordan

My review cross-posted from Wit and Sin

Six years ago Lady Katherine Wilde was in love with Brandon Deverill and attempted to seduce him. At the time he was about to leave to fight in a war against the British, so Deverill chose to do the honorable thing and turn her away. Now there’s peace between their countries and Deverill has inherited a title, which means he needs a suitable wife. Who better to find him a wife than consummate matchmaker Kate Wilde? Kate agrees to his plan in exchange for Deverill taking her to France and helping her search for what’s left of the ship her parents died on. She will model Deverill into the ideal English gentleman and introduce him to the perfect candidates for matrimony. What she doesn’t know is that he has no plans to mold himself into the perfect husband for some strange woman – he fully plans on seducing and wedding Kate. All he needs to do is convince her to give him a second chance and they could have a love that is truly legendary.

The ultimate matchmaker finally meets her match in My Fair Lover. Though this fifth book in Nicole Jordan’s Legendary Lovers series gives a few nods to the story of Pygmalion, Kate and Deverill’s story is more of a second chance romance than a twist on a literary legend. As I happen to be a sucker for a good second chance romance, I didn’t really mind this, particularly since My Fair Lover started out with such promise.

Deverill and Kate have fantastic chemistry at the start of the book. She is determined to be proper and not to let him seduce her, while he is equally determined to tempt her, challenge her, and ultimately win her back. Their back-and-forth was charming and the dialogue was flirty and fun. But once things started to get steamy between Kate and Deverill, the book, well, lost its steam. The obstacles in the way of their happily ever after – both internal and external – felt a bit forced as it was clear the two were meant to be together, wanted to be together, and the reasons they weren’t were fairly thin. The snappy connection that characterized Kate and Deverill’s relationship in the beginning gave way to sensual scenes that were entertaining but not as original or fun. In addition, the storyline involving Kate’s search for her parents’ sunken ship, a pirate with a grudge against Deverill, and the pirate’s lovelorn mistress just fell flat. Perhaps a shorter format would have served the characters better, but as it stands Kate and Deverill were delightful together and I was rooting for them to get their happily ever after. So while My Fair Lover had its ups and downs for me, I did finish the story a satisfied reader.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2017/08/review-my-fair-lover-by-nicole-jordan.html