WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Stealing Taffy by Susan Donovan

Unwrapping Taffy - Susan Donovan

Return to Bigler, North Carolina and see a former villain become an endearing, slightly daffy heroine in Stealing Taffy. Susan Donovan had an uphill battle turning Tanyalee into a heroine I could like. Tanyalee’s past and her treatment of others (especially her sister, the heroine of Cheri on Top) was despicable and there was no excuse for it. The newly-reformed Tanyalee in Stealing Taffy is a women who doesn’t make excuses for her past and is trying to make amends, and I actually liked her villain-to-heroine arc. The new Tanyalee is a bit out of her depth when she returns to her hometown, and I liked seeing her work on being a better person. Part of her efforts includes mentoring a troubled young girl, Fern. Fern and Tanyalee’s relationship was, for me, the highlight of the book. The two of them gave this book genuine heart and had it just been their respective journeys, I would have adored Stealing Taffy.

Where the story falters is the romance. Dante is an interesting hero with lots of potential, but we never go into depth on any of his issues. Because of this, he felt a bit cardboard, and this was a pity because Ms. Donovan tells us he’s a hero with issues of his own, ones that are passed over in favor of other storylines. Mostly Dante feels like a springboard for other characters (Tanyalee in particular) and plotlines to bounce off of. His relationship with Tanyalee is fluffy and fun, but there’s a real case of missed opportunity. I couldn’t connect with the characters and the romance felt superficial, so I was left wanting more. Stealing Taffy isn’t a bad book – it’s enjoyable, lighthearted entertainment – but the romance is missing heart. With a bit more depth, this book could have gone from ok to great.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2017/01/review-stealing-taffy-by-susan-donovan.html