WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Forevermore by Kristen Callihan

Forevermore (Darkest London) - Kristen Callihan

Sin Evernight is Judgment, an angel who takes the souls of supernaturals who have gone evil. Before that, he was a blood slave, used and abused in every way possible, and then separated from his family just as he found freedom. Now he’s isolated and apart from the world, save for his mentor, Augustus. At least, he is until his new mission brings Layla Starling back into his life and turns his world upside down. Sin and Layla met as children, forming a bond that no amount of time apart could break. She’s the only person who has ever been his true champion and seen the best in him. And she’s in danger. She’s coming into her immortality, into powers evil beings would hunt her to possess. Sin will stop at nothing to protect her, even if being close to Layla means risking the heart he’s afraid to give.

Kristen Callihan wraps up her dazzling Darkest London series with the oh-so-enchanting Forevermore. As much as I hate seeing the series end, Layla and Sin’s book is an exciting, emotional finale that I absolutely adored.

Layla is a ray of sunshine in the sometimes dark and twisted world of the supernatural. She’s a sweet, adventurous woman willing to fight for Sin no matter what, so of course I absolutely loved her. She’s got spirit, and even when someone tries to knock her down, she bravely faces what’s coming. As for Sin, he’s been through hell and bears the emotional scars to prove it. Yet despite all this, he fights for the side of good. When he learns that Layla is in danger, he doesn’t hesitate to protect her, even knowing what being close to – but unable to touch her – would do to him. He doesn’t want to open his heart, believes he can’t be the man for Layla, and yet it’s clear to see they are utterly perfect for one another. Their romance grabbed my heart and the fantastic chemistry they had had me practically devouring Forevermore. Quite simply, this was an excellent pairing of two characters who complemented each other perfectly and gave the book its heart.

As the final book in the series, Forevermore splits its time between Sin and Layla’s love story and the overarching Darkest London world. Augustus has long been an important background player in the series and we get to see the full scope of his planning, along with an unexpectedly powerful secondary romance between him and another familiar face. Fans of the series will also surely be delighted that a significant number of past heroes and heroines reappear for this final chapter, and they add further emotional weight to the tale. It’s difficult to talk about much of the plot of Forevermore without spoiling the joy of discovery for readers. Suffice it to say that Ms. Callihan seamlessly blends love, longing, action, danger, and magic in this beautifully crafted story. So as much as I hate to say good-bye to the intelligent, imaginative world Ms. Callihan has created in the Darkest London series, I’m thrilled that it’s capped off by such a satisfying story.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2016/06/review-forevermore-by-kristen-callihan.html