WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Stormswept by Sabrina Jeffries writing as Deborah Martin

Stormswept - Sabrina Jeffries

I love a good second chance romance, and Stormswept is a passionate, compelling one. Rhys and Juliana’s story is one of love, betrayal, heartbreak, bitterness, and hope.

When they first meet, Rhys is a Welsh radical and the son of a disgraced squire and Juliana is a young English lady and the daughter of the man who stole Rhys’s family estate. The attraction is instantaneous and the two of them are so young and sweet you can’t help but smile as they fall in love. It’s their innocence – Juliana’s in particular – that is also their downfall, as Juliana’s brothers have Rhys impressed in the navy and she is manipulated into keeping her marriage a secret. I’m so glad we spend a significant amount of time with Juliana and Rhys when they were younger, because that brief happy period for them sets the foundation for the book and brings hope to the dark road ahead.

When Rhys returns six years later, he’s got vengeance on his mind and he blames Juliana for what was done to him. Rhys’s anger and his determination to believe the worst of Juliana makes the road to happily ever after turn into an uphill battle for our kind heroine. Juliana is sweet and generous, but she isn’t crushed by the force of her husband’s bitterness. She goes toe-to-toe with him, and can out-stubborn him when she needs to. Their battle of wills is tempered slightly by the attraction between them that neither can deny. It’s that passion, that great chemistry between them, that keeps Stormswept moving at a fast pace. Add in the infrequently seen (in historical romance) backdrop of Wales and the bits of Welsh history and poetry woven into the story, and I was hooked.

I’m a big fan of Sabrina Jeffries’s writing, so of course I was delighted to read this story, which was first published in 1995 when Ms. Jeffries was writing as Deborah Martin. I haven’t read the original, so I’m not sure how much was revised for this reissue, but the tone of this story is markedly different from Ms. Jeffries’s more modern works. Stormswept still has that 90s historical romance feel, with its darker, less endearing heroes, and I enjoyed the change of pace. I may never have adored Rhys, but I still thoroughly enjoyed his and Juliana’s romance. Stormswept is a rich, emotional read with interesting characters and a heroine you have to cheer on as she fights for the man she loves and the life they could have together. I thoroughly enjoyed Stormswept and I hope to read more of Ms. Jeffries’s Deborah Martin titles.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2016/06/review-stormswept-by-sabrina-jeffries.html