WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Sweet Little Lies by Jill Shalvis

Sweet Little Lies: A Heartbreaker Bay Novel - Jill Shalvis

My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed

Pru Harris’s life changed forever when she was a teenager, but she’s done everything she can to pick up the pieces and make a life for herself.  Now she captains a San Francisco Bay tour boat, has a loveable (if lazy) dog, and a new apartment with a fountain in the courtyard that may help people find true love.  Pru isn’t sure if the fountain rumors are true, but she knows of one man who could use a bit of happiness: pub owner Finn O’Riley.  Finn is seriously hot, and kind to boot, but he’s all work and no play.  And Pru definitely wants to play with Finn.  After an accident leads to a dart injury, Pru and Finn go from casual friends to something much hotter.  Pru knows she could fall for Finn, but how can she be the one to bring him happiness when she’s keeping a secret that could shatter their burgeoning relationship?

Sweet Little Lies has just the right blend of humor and heart to make it incredibly addictive.  Jill Shalvis’s Heartbreaker Bay series is off to a fantastic start with Pru and Finn’s book.  It’s a story of love, forgiveness, fun, and friendship, and I absolutely adored it.

Finn is a sexy-as-sin hero constantly working to make his pub a success and keep his younger brother out of trouble.  He’s serious, sometimes too serious, but that’s because he had to take on a lot of responsibility from a very young age.  Though Finn has friends who clearly love him, he needs someone special to help bring him fully back to life, and that someone is definitely Pru.  Pru is a heroine with a heart of gold.  She’s taken a lot on her own shoulders, more than she should (for reasons I won’t spoil) and she does her best to care for everyone around her, sometimes at the expense of herself.  I adored Pru and wanted to see her find happiness with Finn, and though the “Big Secret” threatened to put a damper on the story, I had no doubt that these two would pull through.  Their chemistry is electric and there are so many fun, sweet, and steamy moments in Sweet Little Lies that it’s incredibly easy to root for these two.

Pru and Finn’s romance could make the story shine in and of itself, but what really charmed me and set Sweet Little Lies apart was the friendships.  The Heartbreaker Bay series is about a tight-knit group of friends and damn if I didn’t love Elle, Willa, Archer, Spence, and Haley just as much as I loved Finn and Pru.  The seven of them make for a lively, wonderfully funny group that I would love to be a part of, were they real.  I absolutely cannot wait to read more about them in the next Heartbreaker Bay book, The Trouble with Mistletoe!