WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Allegiance of Honor by Nalini Singh

Allegiance of Honor (Psy/Changelings) - Nalini Singh

Allegiance of Honor is a true treat for Psy-Changeling fans. Throughout the series, author Nalini Singh has woven together a number of intricately connected relationships that create the fabric of the Psy-Changeling world. Here, in the fifteenth full-length outing, those connections come to the forefront as Ms. Singh ties up the first story arc of the series in a spectacular fashion.

Silence has fallen, and in its wake the Trinity Accord has been signed, offering hope of a world where human, Psy, and changeling can be united. The ambitious agreement is still in its beginning stages, and there are those who would seek to break the fragile peace, both for reasons of profit and prejudice. A symbol of the changing world – Naya Hunter, the first Psy-changeling child born since Silence took effect – is in danger. Lucas and Sasha, who started readers’ journeys into this phenomenal world in Slave to Sensation, will do anything to protect their daughter, and they’re not alone. And while DarkRiver, SnowDancer, and their allies work to protect Naya, news of a kidnapped water changeling reaches them, igniting a hunt that will inspire cooperation across all three races. The threat to Naya and the kidnapped changeling aren’t the only two plot threads in Allegiance of Honor, and it’s a testament to Ms. Singh’s skill that every single thread of this story weaves in seamlessly with the others. I can’t say much about the plots without spoiling the joy of unpacking each element to the tale on your own. Suffice it to say the story as a whole is exciting, impossible to put down, and is a true payoff for fans of the series because it brings in everything we know about the world and the characters we love.

There is no central couple in Allegiance of Honor. Instead, readers get to look into the lives of all the past Psy-Changeling heroes and heroines (from both novels and novellas) and a few non-hero/heroine series power players. I absolutely loved revisiting everyone, seeing what happens after happily ever after, and generally reveling in spending extra time with the characters who have grabbed my heart over the years. Individually and as a group, the Psy, changelings, and humans we’ve come to know and love bring moments of bright humor, sweetness, sadness, and joy. What this story also does is make me appreciate how many connections have developed over the course of the series. Like the love stories, the connections between characters – some prominent in the series, and even one or two I’d long forgotten about – are allowed to shine. While Ms. Singh does a great job of putting enough information in so that you remember each character’s story and how they relate to other characters, Allegiance of Honor is not the book to start with if you’re new to the series. You’re missing out on the emotional impact of the book (not to mention the fabulousness that is the rest of the series) if you dive in with this story.

Amid the excitement of the fight to make a better world and the lurking danger of those who would destroy that world, Allegiance of Honor is a story of hope. Whether it’s the sensual sweetness of the couples who have found happiness, the love between blood and chosen families, or the dedication to making the world a place all three races can survive and thrive in, hope will always outshine the darkness in this book. There’s no way you can read Allegiance of Honor and not have your emotions touched. Even though Ms. Singh has perfectly wrapped up the first arc of the Psy-Changeling series, there is so much more of the gorgeous world she has created that we have yet to explore fully and so many possibilities as to what is coming. I cannot wait to see where Ms. Singh takes readers next!

FTC Disclosure: I received the e-book edition of this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2016/05/review-allegiance-of-honor-by-nalini.html