WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Brotherhood in Death by J.D. Robb

Brotherhood in Death - J.D. Robb

An attack that wounds one of her loved ones is only the beginning of what turns into a monstrous case for Lieutenant Eve Dallas. Brotherhood in Death features an intense, layered case where every victim and suspect is hiding valuable secrets and Eve must race the clock before the bodies pile up. Conspiracies abound and every twist the case takes makes this latest In Death novel even more difficult to put down.

My favorite books in the series are the ones where we have an exciting mystery and personal growth for our beloved characters and Brotherhood in Death has both. I don’t want to say too much about the case because it would spoil the book. I will say that this is the rare instance where Eve is on the job before there is even a body. Eve comes to the aid of Dennis Mira when he’s bashed on the head right after he sees his cousin wounded in their grandparents’ home. His cousin is missing and Eve has a feeling that if she doesn’t find him soon, this will turn into her next homicide case. Of course she’s right, and once Edward is found – the victim of an exceptionally violent and angry murder – things get dark fast and Eve has to unravel a host of mysteries to discover what is going on and why. Power, politics, sex, lies, and “brotherhood” all go together in this case and it’s rough on Eve and her loved ones. That the case affects Eve makes the story more powerful, upping the stakes for readers because we are connected to the story through her.

Murders and conspiracies aside, the moments that shined in the story were, for me, the more personal ones. Eve and Roarke have been married for a couple of years and though their love is as strong as ever, a disagreement between them truly shines a light on how far Eve has come over the course of the series. There are also enjoyable moments between Eve and her team, and some truly emotional scenes featuring Eve and Dennis. Dennis has popped up in various In Death books for years and his genuine kindness and caring heart have made him a favorite of mine. Brotherhood in Death connects him to one of Eve’s cases for the first time, and I absolutely loved seeing more of him. Eve’s adoration of him is incredibly sweet and the moments they have together have excellent emotional impact.

Almost every In Death book can be read as a standalone and Brotherhood in Death is no exception. That being said, much of my enjoyment in this story stemmed from reading about Eve, Roarke, and the family they have made from friends. Having dozens of books’ worth of history behind the personal scenes is part of what makes those moments shine, so for maximum enjoyment I recommend being at least a casual reader of the In Death series before diving into this tale. J.D. Robb never disappoints and forty-two books and almost a dozen novellas into the series there is no sign of Eve and Roarke slowing down. For this I’m thrilled because I absolutely love the characters Ms. Robb has created and I cannot wait to see what awaits them in the next In Death story!

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2016/01/review-brotherhood-in-death-by-jd-robb.html