WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Devoted in Death by J.D. Robb

Devoted in Death - J.D. Robb

A deadly would-be Romeo and Juliet with a lust for killing and torture have Lieutenant Eve Dallas racing against the clock in Devoted in Death. Author J.D. Robb shows no signs of slowing down; this forty-first full-length In Death novel has all the suspense, thrills, and fascinating characterization fans have come to expect from the series.

Devoted in Death is a rarity in the In Death-verse because readers know who the killers are and get to see into their depraved minds right from the start. Ella-Loo and Darryl are twisted individuals who choose people at random, getting sexual and emotional thrills from torturing and killing their targets. Ms. Robb keys readers in from the very beginning, thus giving us an advantage over Eve and her team who start with nothing but a dead body. For me, this kept things fresh and interesting and it was fascinating to watch Eve put the pieces together. We often see how her thought process works, but by having a lot more information than Eve, it sheds a different light on her work. This isn’t an easy case; the killers are vicious and when we get the victims’ points of view it can be heartbreaking. Of course, this is part of what made the story powerful for me and kept me feeling the same beat-the-clock pressure as Eve.

The In Death books can generally be divided into two classes – case-centric stories and character-centric ones. Devoted in Death is a case-centric tale with Roarke and many of Eve’s non-NYPSD loved ones playing more minor roles. As dear to my heart as all these characters are, it was great seeing the working dynamic between Eve and her fellow cops. Though character growth isn’t prominent in this story, there still is some to be had and it’s entertaining in its own right, but I’ll leave it to readers to uncover this part of the story themselves. Suffice it to say that it’s the small moments in the book that add humor and heart to the story, and I’d expect nothing less from Ms. Robb.

Devoted in Death is an engaging, tautly-written mystery that will please old and new In Death fans alike. There’s nothing like settling down for a few hours and watching Eve, Roarke, and their friends solve a new case. I finished Devoted in Death a well-satisfied reader and I cannot wait to read the next In Death book, Brotherhood in Death!

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2015/09/review-devoted-in-death-by-jd-robb.html