WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Archangel's Viper
Nalini Singh
Progress: 12 %
Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Sleeping with the Enemy by Tracy Solheim

Sleeping with the Enemy - Tracy Solheim

Tracy Solheim keeps the tension – sexual and otherwise – running high in Sleeping with the Enemy. Bridgett and Jay’s shared past is bittersweet and clearly ended badly, making their reunion romance anything but sweet. Though there aren’t tender feelings between them at the beginning of the book, what they definitely don’t lack is passion, and this keeps the story moving at a fast pace.

I adored Bridgett. She’s smart, caring, and under the confidence she wears like armor lies a woman with deep scars. Bridgett is easy to root for and it’s clear her feelings for Jay have never died, even though she hates him at the beginning of the book. As for Jay, I’m sorry to say I didn’t like him for most of the story. He’s a domineering alpha male, and also a selfish one, a man who looks to take what he wants from Bridgett and doesn’t seem to care what their troubled connection does to her. Though Ms. Solheim shows his reasoning, I was turned off by his continued callousness. And while the sexual tension between Bridgett and Jay made the story interesting, there were times that the overused “heroine hating the hero but turning to mush the minute he kisses her” bothered me. Because they don’t simply sit down and talk about what went wrong in the past (clearing up the big misunderstanding), Jay and Bridgett require some strong outside help to get together, and whether or not this bothers you is something I chalk up to reader preference. Yet even taking into consideration the issues I had with the romance, I was still engaged with the story.

Sleeping with the Enemy is the fourth Out of Bounds novel, and though it features the Baltimore Blaze’s owner rather than one of the team’s star players, that doesn’t mean the story is lacking in behind-the-scenes NFL action. The overarching series plotline of the blogger targeting the Baltimore Blaze reaches its climax in this book. I absolutely loved seeing this storyline finally play out in full and I was as invested in this part of the book as I was the romance.

Highly entertaining secondary characters round out the story. While Sleeping with the Enemy can be read as a standalone, fans of the series will likely enjoy seeing past Out of Bounds characters. As much fun as it was revisiting the Blaze team and staff, I was most intrigued by Jay’s sister, Charlie, and his best friend, Blake. So while Sleeping with the Enemy had its ups and downs for me, I’ll definitely be on the lookout for more of Ms. Solheim’s work.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2015/08/review-sleeping-with-enemy-by-tracy.html