WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Begging for It by Lilah Pace

Begging for It - Lilah Pace

Begging for It is one of the best books I’ve read this year! The second half of Jonah and Vivienne’s emotional and romantic journey is brave, daring, and the perfect balance of darkness and light. I loved every minute of it, so much so that simply writing this review makes me want to dive into the story once more.

In Asking for It, Vivienne and Jonah were strangers connected by their mutual need to live out rape fantasies. Their sexual exploration led to a closer bond, but their burgeoning romance hit a roadblock when the ghosts of both their pasts came to light. It’s no secret to say their separation doesn’t last for long (we wouldn’t have a story otherwise), but in Begging for It Vivienne and Jonah must learn to redefine their relationship. Author Lilah Pace masterfully develops Jonah and Vivienne’s individual and joint journeys. Vivienne is a rape survivor who can only find sexual fulfillment when she fantasizes about being taken by force; a fact that disgusts her. Though her desires are what brought her and Jonah together to begin with, it’s Jonah’s past that comes to the forefront this time around. The sick and twisted abuse he suffered as a child marked him indelibly, and when his sadistic stepfather tries to shoulder his way into Jonah’s life, Jonah threatens to shatter. This time around, it’s his limits that are strongly tested, and it’s he who needs support. Vivienne is more than strong enough to be the shoulder he leans on, and I absolutely loved that she’s his rock the way he is hers. Though his protective nature makes him want to be her shield at all times, Vivienne is no pushover and makes sure Jonah truly hears and acknowledges her strength. These two are equals in every way and it makes their love story all the more powerful because there is that push-pull as they find their way as a couple. Ms. Pace doesn’t make them perfect, doesn’t make their love story an easy one, but every obstacle is worth it for the incredibly powerful romance that comes as a result.

Like Asking for It, Begging for It is not for everyone. There is a lot of ugliness in the story and readers should be warned that rape scenes are described (though they are not perpetrated by the hero). Jonah’s horrific past is revealed in full, the awful dynamics of Vivienne’s family is further explored, and added to that there’s a serial rapist in town and someone is trying to frame Jonah for it. In the hands of another author, the darkness could overwhelm the book, but Ms. Pace infuses Begging for It with so much hope, pure emotion, and love that the story feels perfectly balanced. Ms. Pace has done an incredible job of sensitively handling a tough subject. Vivenne and Jonah have been through hell and though their pasts do not define them, it does impact their feelings about themselves and their needs. Ms. Pace honors her characters’ struggles and survival, and the respect she has for both comes through loud and clear.

If Asking for It is amazing, then Begging for It is exquisite. The second half of Jonah and Vivienne’s journey is erotic, deeply emotional, and utterly irresistible. Vivienne and Jonah are strong, brave, honest characters who will grab your heart and stay with you long after you’ve finished their story. I loved everything about Begging for It. I hope that Ms. Pace has plans to write stories for Jonah’s siblings, for I cannot get enough of her writing.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2015/08/review-begging-for-it-by-lilah-pace.html