WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Brown-Eyed Girl by Lisa Kleypas

Brown-Eyed Girl: A Novel - Lisa Kleypas

Whether you’re being swept off to a house party in nineteenth century England or find yourself being rescued from a scorpion at a modern-day Texas wedding, there’s simply nothing like diving into a Lisa Kleypas novel. Brown-Eyed Girl is the latest of Ms. Kleypas’s stories to make me fall in love with her writing. The effervescent charm of Brown-Eyed Girl and its endearing characters make the fourth Travis Family novel a truly addictive read.

Ms. Kleypas writes some of the best heroes in romance and Joe Travis is no exception. He’s smart, caring, sexy-as-sin, funny, and patient to boot. It’s impossible not to fall in love with Joe, for he’s full of charm, sensuality, and innate goodness, and somehow Ms. Kleypas manages to make him the perfect hero without him ever seeming like a cardboard Prince Charming. When he sets his sights on Avery… Man, what I wouldn’t give to be her. But Avery doesn’t make things easy on Joe. She’s his match in every way, a hardworking, intelligent businesswoman with a lot of love to give. But Avery was hurt and humiliated in the past, first by her father and then by the man she had planned to marry. Though she’s undeniably strong, Avery is also deeply vulnerable and fears putting herself out there, making the walls she has put up around her heart a mile high and three miles deep. I adored Avery, and Ms. Kleypas does a great job of showing why she’s reticent to get involved with Joe in spite of – or perhaps because of – the fact that he’s nearly perfect. Joe isn’t a saint and his patience isn’t infinite, but his determination to win Avery over is enough to create some cracks in her emotional armor. It isn’t easy for Avery to overcome the ghosts of her past, but her burgeoning relationship with Joe is worth the fight. When the two of them share the page, sparks fly and there is an underlying sweetness to their romance that made me happily sigh.

A cast of lively secondary characters makes Brown-Eyed Girl even more fun to read. Though this book can be read as a standalone, readers who fell in love with Joe’s siblings and in-laws in Sugar Daddy, Blue-Eyed Devil, and Smooth Talking Strangerwill be pleased to know that the Travis family members plays strong supporting roles in Joe and Avery’s story. Watching Avery and Joe interact with their loved ones is almost as much fun as watching their love story unfold.

There’s a lot to love about Brown-Eyed Girl and fans old and new of the Travis Family series are in for a treat. Joe and Avery’s romance is sweet, sensual, and just plain fun. I had a blast reading Brown-Eyed Girl and I hope Ms. Kleypas returns to the Travis family at least once more, for there’s a certain cousin of Joe’s whose story I am simply dying to read.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2015/07/review-brown-eyed-girl-by-lisa-kleypas.html