WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Consumed by Fire by Anne Stuart

Consumed by Fire - Anne Stuart

Nobody writes romantic suspense like Anne Stuart! The Fire series starts off on a high note with Consumed by Fire, a dark and complex romance with a dangerous hero and a smart, scarred heroine. James and Evangeline’s story is rich, compelling, and has an edge to it – exactly what I’ve come to love and expect from Ms. Stuart.

The Fire series is a spinoff of the Ms. Stuart’s Ice series, the premise being an American branch of the infamous Committee is being set up. Like his Ice counterparts, James is a truly deadly hero who won’t ever be a sappy romantic. He’s an alpha male with none of the posturing and he’ll break his own heart by hurting Evangeline if it’s for the greater good. In the hands of a lesser author, James would be a terrible hero, but somehow Ms. Stuart makes him wildly compelling. Like Evangeline, I was drawn to him, even though he’s someone I’d never want to cross paths with, were he real. As for Evangeline, she’s a strong, capable woman who was nearly broken by James in the past. Though she comes to understand his reasons, that doesn’t mean she’ll welcome him back into her life with open arms. Their relationship is tumultuous, with passion, hatred, and love all blending together. Their love story isn’t pretty, it isn’t sweet, but damn if it isn’t sexy, emotional, and impossible to put down.

There’s plenty of action in Consumed by Fire outside of the romance as well. Someone is targeting Evangeline and the reasons why go back to when she and James first met. I can’t say more without spoiling the story, so suffice it to say that very real danger lurks around every corner. Ms. Stuart doesn’t pull her punches and if Consumed by Fire is any indication, the Fire series will be as wildly, wickedly entertaining as the Ice series (though you don’t have to have read the first series in order to follow along). Evangeline and James do not disappoint and I can’t wait to see what happens next for the Committee’s newest batch of operatives.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2015/05/review-consumed-by-fire-by-anne-stuart.html