WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Once and Always by Julia Harper

Once and Always - Elizabeth Hoyt writing as Julia Harper

A sexy, determined deputy who’s head over heels in love with a gun-shy dress designer – how could I resist? Author Julia Harper drew me in from the start with Sam and Maisa and I was ready for a fun ride. The two of them have a history, one I wish we’d seen in flashbacks because it serves as a solid foundation for their love story. Maisa, whose family isn’t all on the up-and-up, has abandonment issues thanks to her father and is concerned about letting Sam into her heart only to have him leave her. She needn’t worry, for Sam is absolutely crazy about her and man, he’s a hero to make you swoon. I loved each layer of Sam’s character Ms. Harper revealed, and I only wish Maisa had been as well developed, for she showed a lot of promise.

Once and Always both delivers and doesn’t, for it’s a satisfying romance with interesting characters, but the story ultimately falls short of its potential. The book starts off with contemporary romance staples: a hero and heroine with great chemistry and an impending storm in a small town. But strangely enough, once Ms. Harper gives the story her own spin by adding in the Russian mafia and a crazy suitcase switch with stolen diamonds, the story falters. The issue I had with Once and Always was that it was trying to be too many things at once – steamy romance, screwball comedy, action with the mafia and a High Noon-lite showdown – and none of these things blended well with the other. No storyline or character (except Sam) is fleshed out as well as they could be, which was a pity. A tertiary plotline involving a romance between secondary characters Karl and Molly had potential to be lots of fun, but alas was underserved by limited page time and only ended up detracting further from Sam and Maisa.

Julia Harper is perhaps better known as Elizabeth Hoyt, whose historical romances I absolutely adore. The two names are definitely appropriate, as Ms. Harper’s writing style is very different in Once and Always compared to, say, Wicked Intentions. I liked Once and Always, but perhaps knowing how much better Ms. Hoyt’s books usually are dampened my spirits a bit. All in all, if you want to suspend disbelief and simply enjoy a fast-paced story with some action, steam, humor, and an adorable dog (Otter the Dog is fabulous), I’d say you can’t go wrong with Once and Always. It may not have been my cup of tea overall, but it has promise and I’ll definitely be back for more Julia Harper books.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2015/02/review-once-and-always-by-julia-harper.html