WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Obsession in Death by J.D. Robb

Obsession in Death - J.D. Robb

I’ll say it right up front – I loved this book. Obsession in Death is a monstrously entertaining story of obsession, murder, love, and family. J.D. Robb is a powerhouse author whose talent for creating complex, interesting characters and relationships is on full display in this fortieth In Death novel.

Murderers have fixated on Eve in the past for one reason or another, but never before has someone been so wholly obsessed with her. Every case, every friendship, every aspect of Eve’s life is being picked apart by someone and for once Eve is at a loss. It’s almost impossible to figure out who is using her as their reason to kill and the manner in which the killer’s obsession escalates gives Eve a very real reason to fear that her loved ones are in danger. It was fascinating to see Eve so completely thrown off her stride. Her level of celebrity is something she’s always brushed off as a minor nuisance. However, now that her time in the spotlight has potentially made her the object of an unbalanced individual’s worship, she can no longer brush it aside. This case and the obsessed killer make Obsession in Death a twisted, fascinating tale.

Though this book can be read as a standalone, it truly is an In Death fan’s delight. The nature of the case forces Eve to look back on her life and work starting from the very first book in the series. As a reader, this was an extreme pleasure, for it really allows you to see how far Eve has come both as a cop and as a person. The case puts the spotlight on Eve and her personal relationships, showing the growth of a woman who only had Mavis and Feeney at the beginning of Naked in Death to someone who has not only a husband she loves but a whole family over her own making. The killer’s method of picking victims also means there are callbacks to previous In Death books (Rapture in Death, Conspiracy in Death, and Portrait in Death to name just a few). It’s a trip down memory lane that’s seamlessly woven into the new case. You don’t have to have read any prior books in the series in order to follow along, but there’s definitely an added layer of entertainment revisiting past cases provides.

There’s so much to love about Obsession in Death and I barely scratched the surface. Even though this is the fortieth book in the series (and Eve and Roarke’s fiftieth outing when counting novellas) Obsession in Death feels as fresh and exciting as the first novel. Ms. Robb never stops letting Eve, Roarke, and their loved ones grow as characters and Obsession in Death beautifully highlights how far everyone has come. I could not put this book down and I simply cannot wait to see where Ms. Robb takes Eve and Roarke next.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2015/02/review-obsession-in-death-by-jd-robb.htmlI’ll say it right up front – I loved this book. Obsession in Death is a monstrously entertaining story of obsession, murder, love, and family. J.D. Robb is a powerhouse author