WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: The Last Quarrel: Episode One by Duncan Lay

The Last Quarrel: Episode 1 - Duncan Lay

Superstition abounds and true magic is hinted at in The Last Quarrel: Episode One. Duncan Lay’s first installment of The Last Quarrel sets the stage for interesting things to come, though on its own Episode One takes quite a while to engage readers. Still, Mr. Lay’s land of myth and magic is interesting and shows true potential. There are creepy monsters, kidnapped children, politics, family strife, a man who wishes to be a hero, danger, and numerous unsolved mysteries all woven into Episode One. If it seems like a lot to introduce in a small slice of a book, that’s because it is. Rather than parse things out over the course of the story, Mr. Lay chooses to introduce a good portion (if not all) of the central players right from the start. This means that Episode One is heavy on introduction without providing much depth. Since I assume that the characters will be fully fleshed out as the story goes on, I’m not bothered by this. I will say that perhaps this is a story best read from start to finish, as it doesn’t read like an intended serial.

The Last Quarrel: Episode One is a difficult book for me to review because I felt like I didn’t get enough sense of the story as a whole to judge it. I had a hard time starting Episode One because it felt weighed down by numerous introductions, but by the end I was ready to leap into the next part. The best thing I can say is that The Last Quarrel shows a lot of promise and I’m looking forward to finding out what happens next.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2015/01/review-last-quarrel-episode-one-by.html