WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Review: One in a Million by Jill Shalvis

One in a Million - Jill Shalvis

Jill Shalvis has the magic touch when it comes to delivering sparkling romances that grab your heart. One in a Million is a charming, utterly addictive read – the kind of book you want to start all over again as soon as you finish.

Callie has joined the list of my favorite heroines and she has a special place in my heart. She’s a smart, funny woman who is afraid of love after being hurt more than once. Even though she has wonderful new friends in Becca and Olivia, a loving (if zany) grandmother, and a good career, there’s something a bit lonely about Callie. I loved watching her open her heart over the course of the story. Meeting Tanner is, of course, the catalyst for her change. He’s the high school crush that never noticed her, but the football superstar of her past has been replaced by a man who had to grow up fast and hard. Tanner is now a divorced father of a teenage son he’s trying desperately to reach, and the way he puts those he loves first endeared him to me from the start. Tanner’s development as a father is every bit as important to the story as his relationship with Callie, and of course Ms. Shalvis handles both storylines beautifully. Tanner and Callie have fantastic chemistry; their scenes together are sexy, funny, and sigh-worthy – everything I’ve come to expect and adore from a Jill Shalvis couple. It’s not easy for Callie and Tanner to go from attraction to real relationship, but Ms. Shalvis makes every step of the journey worth it.

One in a Million is the twelfth book in the Lucky Harbor series, but it can be read as a standalone. Tanner’s best friends, Cole and Sam, along with Olivia’s newfound friends, Becca and Olivia, all play strong supporting roles, which is sure to please readers who loved It’s in His Kissand He’s So Fine. Other past Lucky Harbor heroes and heroines also appear or are mentioned throughout the book. This works not just in the context of the story, as Lucky Harbor is a small town, but also as Easter eggs for fans of the series. It would be remiss of me to write about One in a Million without mentioning the town’s resident social media superstar and self-proclaimed matchmaker, Lucille. The geriatric firebrand has a bigger role than ever in One in a Million, which is no surprise since Callie is her granddaughter. I have a soft spot for Lucille – how could I not after twelve Lucky Harbor novels? – and though her usual brand of quirk is on display here, there are some honest and heartwarming scenes with her as well.

One in a Million is (as of right now) the final full-length book in the Lucky Harbor series, and Ms. Shalvis ends things on a perfect note. Tanner and Callie’s story is sweet, sassy, heartbreaking, and uplifting. I couldn’t have loved them more and I cannot wait to read their book again!

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2014/10/review-one-in-million-by-jill-shalvis.html