WitandSin

Wit and Sin

Down for the Count (Dare Me Series, #1)
Christine Bell

Review: Rules for a Proper Governess by Jennifer Ashley

Rules for a Proper Governess - Jennifer Ashley

Rules for a Proper Governess is both touching and cheeky good fun. Jennifer Ashley’s seventh Mackenzies & McBrides novel is fast-moving, engrossing entertainment, thanks to the story’s utterly lovable characters.

Sinclair McBride has been a living ghost since the death of his wife. Though he fights passionately for what is right, the only reason he keeps going is his two children. It broke my heart that Sinclair had forgotten how to truly live. Of course, when Bertie enters his life his world is turned upside down in the most delightful way. Bertie Fraiser is one of my favorite Jennifer Ashley heroines. She grew up on the streets and has lived a hard life, but she hasn’t lost her sense of wonder. She’s got a huge heart and it opens almost instantaneously to Sinclair and his two children, Andrew and Cat. Bertie isn’t exactly governess material – on paper. She’s a woman from the streets with quick fingers and a charming smile. But she’s exactly what the McBride family needs. I loved watching her with Cat and Andrew; they need love as much as their father does. The four of them made the most wonderful family, even before they realized that is what they’d become. As for the romance between Sinclair and Bertie, it was easy to become invested in it as the two have crackling chemistry. It doesn’t hurt either that both of them are incredibly likeable. Quite simply, it was pure pleasure to watch their relationship develop.

There’s a bit of danger and intrigue in Rules for a Proper Governess, mostly tied to vile letters Sinclair receives regarding his late wife. But truly, what makes this book stand out is the focus on family. Sinclair may only be related to the infamous Mackenzies through his sister, but that doesn’t make him any less one of them. Fans of the Mackenzies & McBrides series are surely going to delight in the roles their favorite past heroes and heroines play in Rules for a Proper Governess. The Mackenzies are as entertaining as ever, and I had to smile every time my personal favorite Mackenzie, Ian, showed up on page. That being said, Ms. Ashley did a fantastic job of not letting the boisterous Mackenzies overpower Sinclair and Bertie. The two of them not only held their own, but shined even among the crowd, which is as it should be in their book.

Rules for a Proper Governess was a joy to read from beginning to end. The Mackenzies & McBrides is one of my favorite series, and Sinclair and Bertie’s book shows just why. Ms. Ashley has once again delivered a wonderfully engaging romance filled with unique characters who capture your heart and stay with you long after you’ve finished their tale.

Source: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2014/10/review-rules-for-proper-governess-by.html